skip to main content

Amateur dramatics performer back to the stage after robotic-assisted knee surgery

Maria had been having problems with her knee for ten years. At 48, she was too young to have a knee replacement and instead was put on anti-inflammatories to help manage her pain.

Maria worked full-time as a Teaching Assistant at a secondary school, but when she could no longer manage the stairs and needed to walk with a stick - as her leg would give way - she decided to reduce her hours and start her own celebration cake business at home.

Maria was continually active in her amateur dramatics theatre group and enjoyed the shows performed each year. Acting and dancing meant that she needed to be particularly energetic and far more mobile than she was able to be. Maria said “I thoroughly enjoyed being involved in the three shows we put on each year- a play, musical and of course the much-loved panto. I was struggling to do the dance routines and was finding it difficult to stand for long periods”.

Maria’s quality of life was severely impacted, so she went to see her GP who referred her to Mr Bourke in the late Autumn of 2019. Mr Bourke asked for Maria to have an X-ray and MRI which showed her knee was bone on bone and she needed to have a total knee replacement. He advised that BMI The Princess Margaret Hospital in Windsor now offered robotic-assisted surgery.

Mr Bourke left Maria to consider her preferred option and within a few days she opted for the robotic surgery. Maria said ”I’m fairly level-headed and decided on the robotic surgery as it had evidence of very good results in precision of cutting and accuracy of placing the implant”.

Maria had the surgery in January 2020 and was in hospital for three nights. She said ”The operation went really well, and the recovery time was super quick. I had a nerve block rather than a general anaesthetic which meant I did not have any side effects. I was extremely impressed with the surgery – I was out of bed the day following surgery and able to do the stairs holding on to the side”.

Maria was down to one crutch within two weeks and by six weeks she was walking unaided and able to go straight back to rehearsals.

Maria concludes “Mr Bourke was really great and he fully managed my expectations. Although I cannot kneel yet,  I can walk so much further and am so much more active.  Thank you so much Mr Bourke”.